Pet Poison Prevention Awareness Month
- March 27, 2020
- Fizzion Clean
March is Pet Poison Prevention Awareness Month. Therefore, we must talk about how to prevent our pets from getting poisoned and keep them safe. It is very important to understand what can be poisonous for our pets. You may not be aware of what objects or things in your house can be harmful to animals. For your ease, we have listed the most common poisons that can be harmful for animals. In case your pet eats or licks them make sure to reach pet poison helpline at earliest or talk to your vet. Some of these things are very toxic while others are minimally toxic for pets.
Many households consume chocolate, but it is important to keep an eye on your smaller children and ensure that they are not giving any chocolate to your pet. Chocolate can be fatal for your dogs. Even a small amount can be disastrous for them as they cannot digest chocolate components which eventually build up toxins.
Rodent pesticides are basically rat and mouse poison. They can also be fatal for your dogs; hence, it is best to put them out of reach of your pets. Always keep them in upper drawers or locked cabinets where your pet cannot have access to them. If your pet accidentally digest rodenticides, call the pet poison helpline immediately as it can lead to kidney failure, bleeding and swelling. Some of these rodenticides do not have an antidote and are difficult to treat so be very careful.
Vitamins & Antidepressants for Humans
Vitamins and antidepressants are harmful to both, cats and dogs. Always keep your medication out of reach of pets. If your pets see you eating these supplements or antidepressants, they might get tempted to try too. Unfortunately, they cannot process these medicines like we do. It can be very harmful to them.
Some houseplants are not good for dogs, these include tulips, oleander, sago palms, lilies, azaleas, amaryllis poinsettias, and hyacinth. Make sure you do not have any of these plants in your homes when you decide to get a dog.
If you have a beautiful lawn, it is understood that it needs to be maintained and for that, you’ll need lawn chemicals. Make sure that you read all instructions on these lawn chemicals and keep them out of reach of your pets as they can be very dangerous if digested.
House cleaning essentials like bleach, phenyl or surface cleaner can harmful if digested. Always keep your cleaners away from their reach in locked cabinets. Especially when cleaning, you should keep an eye on your pet.
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener and can be fatal for dogs. It can be found in chewing gums and mints. If you keep them in your purse or pocket, make sure your dog never licks them.
Medicines like Panadol or paracetamol may be essential to keep in the house but at the same time, they are harmful to pets. If you have left them on a counter or any place where pets can access them, it can be very dangerous for their health.
In case of pet emergency always call pet poison helpline at earliest and try to get your pet to the healthcare facility for animals. Some of the above-mentioned things are not fatal for pets, even then, if digested, pets do require immediate treatment. So, always keep your pet’s vet’s contact number handy.
- 07 Aug Tips to Keep Your Pet Hydrated
- 26 Jun Why You Shouldn’t Scold Your Pet
- 12 Jun What to Do When Your Dog Won’t Eat
- 22 May How To Care For A Blind Pet
- 08 May Bringing Home An Adopted Cat
- 24 Apr Training with a Clicker
- 10 Apr 5 Household Cleaning Products That Harm Pets
- 27 Mar Pet Poison Prevention Awareness Month
- 13 Mar Pet-Friendly Flooring Options
- 21 Feb Why Your Cat May Be Stressed
- 07 Feb Potty Training 101: How to Get Your Dog to Go in One Spot
- 24 Jan How To Introduce A New Pet To Your Current Pets
- 10 Jan 5 Chew Toys Your Dog Will Love
- 20 Dec Paw-some Holiday Gift Ideas for Your Pet!
- 07 Dec 5 Reasons Never To Give a Puppy or Kitten as a Christmas Gift
- 22 Nov NATIONAL PET CANCER AWARENESS MONTH: THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT CANCER IN PETS